Yes, I Have A Bizarre St. Louis Cardinals Pre-Game Ritual
I'm not superstitious. Not even a little bit. But, I have developed some habits when it comes to preparing for a St. Louis Cardinals playoff game. Some might call it a ritual. While I do freely admit to at least being partially crazy, I think "ritual" is too strong a word.
First of all, assuming a 7pm (our time) start time, I make sure that everyone has had dinner at least one hour before game time. If any kids need baths, we get them done no later than 6:30pm. I tend to be the "dishes and laundry" guy, so if that stuff needs to be completed, it has to be at least started by 6:45pm.
What follows has been compared to the summoning of the "Invisible Swordsman" in the movie "The Three Amigos".
- I fill a blue plastic glass (can't be orange or any other color) 3/4's full of green tea sweetened by Splenda
- I make sure I'm wearing a St. Louis Cardinals t-shirt (nothing pre-1996 era).
- I occasionally wear pants. (My wife wishes the word "occasionally" wasn't true)
- One white sock, one red sock. Self-explanatory.
- No one in our house is allowed to utter the word "Albert" or "Pujols" in a sentence together or separate between 7p and 10pm or the end of the game, whichever turns out to be last.
- My kids are only allowed to watch movies that start with an "S". (Which means they watch Shrek and Spongebob...a lot)
- I verify no later than 6:55pm that my wife does not have any additional chores that I will be assigned.
- I memorize the pre-game lineup as submitted by manager Mike Matheny so I know when it is acceptable to take potty breaks when the 7th and 8th place hitters bat. (Note: this has been totally screwed up by Descalso and Kozma having great playoff performances since I now can't miss their at-bats either)
Yes, I bleed Cardinal red. I don't and won't pretend to be objective. I'm a St. Louis Cardinal fan to the bone. What say you? Do you have any (hopefully more bizarre than mine) pre-game rituals you perform before these games? If so, please share so my wife knows I'm not the only weird one.